Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Irish I could dance!

My favorite thing about St. Paddy's day is watching the beautiful Irish dancers. As you can see that was my inspiration for this card. Full discloser here, I used four different Cricut cartridges to make this tiny dancer. I'll go into all that a bit later. Have you ever wondered why the arms are held firmly to the sides of Irish dancers? The answer to this question is as mysterious as a leprechaun, nobody really knows for sure. However, there are some interesting stories as to why. One common theory dates back to when England occupied Ireland. Word is that the English outlawed dancing in Ireland so to avoid being seen dancing from a window or behind a bar they kept their arms firmly down. Another theory is that Queen Elizabeth I visited Ireland and requested dancers to perform for her. In an attempt to make sure they wouldn't raise their arms to the queen they held them firmly to their sides. Of course we have to add a theory inspired by the Catholic faith, we are after all talking about Ireland. In an attempt to make sure males and females wouldn't hold hands while dancing they were required to hold stones in their hands. I'm sure there are many other explanations but these three are my favorites. Whatever the reason, we are all very fortunate to be able to watch these talented lads and lassies! A few years back I went to Ireland for a wedding and let me tell you, Irish dancing IS NOT EASY no matter how easy the dancers make it look!

So here's my card. I've decided to enter it in a challenge over at http://www.creativecutterroom.com/ which is having a St. Patrick's day theme. I have my little dancer doing her jig in front of the Irish flag, complete with shamrocks.

Erin Go Braugh!




Cartridges Used:
Legs/Hands - Joys of the Season (Ballerina)
Head/Jacket- Rock Princess
Dress - Forever Young
Crown/Dress designs- Storybook
Large Shamrock - Designers Calendar

I did her curls/ eyes and shoes with colored pencils and chalk. I also added some gems/ stickles and liquid pearls. This card took some imagination but I just love the way it turned out. I would love to see a cartridge with this image on it someday! So there you have it!

Lastly, I wanted to thank everyone for all the sweet blogaversary comments last week. You all are just such fabulous friends! Just a quick note, my friend Lisa at http://indymermaid.blogspot.com/ is celebrating her blogaversary also so if you haven't stopped over make sure you do! She is giving away an amazing blog candy package, check it out!
Happy blogaversary Lisa!

And I didn't forget about my blog candy winner! If you commented last week you were entered to win a $10 dollar gift card from Michaels. My hubby Patrick, or St. Patrick as he is known this week, picked number/comment 24.....Cely! Yay Cely, email your address to me and I'll get the gift card out, congrats girl! ;)

Thanks for stopping in!

Susan
SNally1965 (at)  Comcast (dot)  net

31 comments:

Sugarlips said...

Love it!! She turned out adorable.

Jovan said...

Too cute...I can't believe you pieced together all those things! Great job!

Unknown said...

First I want to say congratulations to Cely! Enjoy your gift card.

Now Susan Oh my Gosh! you really out did yourself girlfriend:) This is amazing, the way you pieced her together from all of those carts and she is perfect!

Thanks you for sharing the stories of why they keep their arms so stiff to their sides. I didn't know any of that.

Hugs, Pam
http://craftycards4u2.blogspot.com/

Tonya said...

How creative of you using so many carts to get just what you want! She looks stunning! Thanks so much for sharing with us at Creative Cutter Room!

Tonya
CCR DT
ittybittladybugs.blogspot.com

abusybee - DoubleClick Connections said...

WoW! Such a great card! She came out beautiful! Thanks for joining us over at the Creative Cutter Room! DT Member Carri

Cathie Rigby said...

FABULOUS JOB! Great work piecing that together she is stunning! A perfect card for the holiday thanks for sharing her in the Creative Cutter Room. Cathie

Cely said...

O.M.G. Shut up! I won! :) Thanks so much girlie! gonna go email you now!!! :D

Cely said...

Lol, I got so excited about my gift card I forgot to tell you that I love her eyeshadow. LOL!

Amy said...

Cute dancer and clever way to create her!! Thanks for the trivia- so now if this question ever comes up in trivial pursuit I might have an answer..haha!! I also love the fun sentiment! :)Amy

Lisa said...

Susan, I have awarded you the Liebster award :) I wanted you to realize that you are a huge inspiration to me! I also realize that you awarded this same award to me a few months back but by the time i noticed it, I figured to much time had gone by. Just the same thanks and enjoy!!! you can grab the award at my blog

Keep scrapping
http://lisa-scrappingspot.blogspot.com/

Judy said...

Wow, you did an outstanding job putting this sweet Irish girl together! I so enjoyed your story ... the reason could be any one of them. I have an Irish dance story. My grandson is 6 and has a serious case of "happy feet". If I tell him to do River Dance, he always does a jig step that looks amazingly good. We have no idea how this started, but I have been encouraging Irish dance classes:-)

Lisa said...

Oh my gosh, Susan, this is AMAZING!! I love, love how you put her together!! You are so stinkin creative!! This is fabulous!! And I love the trivia behind their stiff arms :) This reminds me of an episode of Friends where Chandler revealed he was terrified of Michael Flatley because "his legs flail about as if independent from his body" ;)

Congrats to Cely - woohoo, enjoy!! And THANK YOU so much for the shout out about my blogaversary!! I appreciate it so much my sweet friend!!

Hugs, Lisa :)
A Mermaid's Crafts

Tracy said...

Very cute card! Thanks for joining us at the Creative Cutter Room!

Tracy
DT2 Member
owlbecraftin.blogspot.com

Georgiana said...

Great St. Patrick's Day card. I love that she is doing a jig. Thanks for sharing at Creative Cutter Room.

Georgiana
Carson's Creations

Bobby said...

What an ambitious undertaking. You deserve a medal for putting together all those parts to make such an adorable card.

Anonymous said...

I love the card!

Linda said...

Oh what a fun card! I love your dancer. I would love to go to Ireland and dance. Well maybe I should have done that a few years back. LOL

Unknown said...

HOW STINKING CUTE AND CREATIVE IS THIS CARD??? Its so DIFFERENT! I have never seen a card like this!! WONDERFUL JOB!!

Thanks so much for joining us over at CCR!!

Crafty Hugs,
Jessica
www.craftinandstampin.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

OH, PS-New follower also!!!

Jessica
www.craftinandstampin.blogspot.com

Sherrie K. said...

Wow Susan, you did a fabulous job on piecing her together and so many carts...I love it!
Sherrie K
http://sherriescraps.blogspot.com

Maria Matter said...

adorable card Susan, love how you pulled it all together! great job!
fun dancing theories, I like the catholic one with the stone in hand, thanks for sharing!
have a lovely day!
hugs & blessings

mum of two said...

This card is so beautiful! I love everything about it :) TFS

michelle
http://mumoftwoblog.blogspot.com

Kim said...

WOW..... I don't even know how you thought that through!!! What a talent! Love how your little Irish dancer turned out!!!
~Kim

Unknown said...

Okay superstar! How many cartridges did it take to make this amazing dancer? Oh man you raise the bar, with your research/information. It's on!

Thank for your check in, all is well with me.

Gorgeous card, best of luck,

Colin

Amy said...

I love this card with the little redheaded dancer on it! I also couldn't stop laughing at the title of your post! Beautiful job on this! :)
Amy
redheadedcrafter.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

OMG SiSi! I LOVE this card. I cannot believe you putzed around with all those little pieces to put that together. Irish you the most o'happy St. Patty's Day tomorrow :) - Lu

DIANA L. said...

This card is so cute I love that you used the Irish flag in the background and also love love love you dancing girl.
Very pretty card.
Ps. Congrats to Cely
Thanks for joining CCR
DIANA L.
http://dianamlarson.blogspot.com

JulieK said...

Fantastic! You are amazing!

Arcy Scraps said...

i found you through lisa's blog and i am so impressed!! your work is beautiful!!!
your newest follower,
♥ Cyndy
arcyscraps.blogspot.com

Amy said...

I also wanted to let you know that I have something on my blog for you, but you may have to scroll back a couple posts... :)
Amy
redheadedcrafter.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Susan, what a great card!! What great use of your Cricut!! I never could pull off Green eyeshadow, but, wow, she sure can!!
I never really thought about Irish dancers before, but I appreciate the lesson on their dancing .What fascinating information!! I will have to pay more attention next time I see some Irish Dancers!!
Dance on!!!!

Post a Comment