Sunday, September 18, 2011

A new challenge- Lessology!

When I heard about this new blog, http://lessology.blogspot.com/, I had to be a part of it. One of the main rules is that you must use one item that is recycled or upcycled. I wasn't too sure what upcycled really meant so on to Wikipedia I went. (Hey, that rhymes!). From what I learned upcycle is when you take something of little to no value and add something to increase the value of the item. So for their first challenge the ladies at Lessology asked for a project that uses an old book. I decided right then I was going to make something using a recycled item and turn it into an upcycled item. Are you with me so far? lol! This project was VERY tedious to say the least. But what turned into the biggest challenge for me wasn't anything craft related, oh no, for me it was this right side shoulder issue I'm having. (I'll post more about that another time, but thank you all for your get well wishes and prayers- that WAS what got me through this project, well, that and my stubborn determination!)


I took an old photo booklet that pictures would come in when they were developed at Wal Mart and created something fun. Here are the before pictures:


                                                                  A recycled item!


And this is what I upcycled it into:



Not a Cook Book- A Cookie Book!


Pictures on the left- recipe on the right!


Pull the recipe card out with the mini oven mitt to write on back of card!


The inside of back cover- with additional note cards!
Here's the making of the little page tags:


Once done they were glued to little paper clips!

 These pictures don't even begin to do this Cookie Book justice. With 14 pages in this Cookie Book I'm sure you can imagine the work that went into this. Embossing, inking edges, cutting the little oven gloves in three layers, attaching them to paper clips to form tabs, tying tiny ribbons on the clips, etc, etc...Yes it was a lot of work! I had to stop many times to ice down the shoulder but I was determind to finish this to be in this first challenge! I have to say, even though I am very happy with the end results I am more proud of myself for not giving up! I did it! Now you might be asking...how is this upcycled? Well, I took something worth nothing and made it worth at least .50 cents! ;)

Thank you friends for being so understanding on my lack of posting the last few weeks. I have been really trying to visit your blogs in between working on this and icing! I am going to take a few days now to do nothing but visit all my friends here. On Thursday I get to see an Ortho doctor, I'll keep you posted!


{{Hugs}}

Susan
p.s. I should add, all the paper along with the recipe cards were from Close to my Heart.



18 comments:

Laurie said...

Wow!! What a cool idea!!! I love your new recipe book. I'm going to go check out that site now. TFS!
Laurie
scrapsbysissy.blogspot.com

~amy~ said...

a cookie book....DELISH idea! Great upcycling of that photo album and the recipe cards are perfect! Thanks so much for playing with us at LESSology!

Anonymous said...

Susan, What an awesome idea!!! That would make great gifts for Christmas, or even for any time!! I sure hope your shoulder gets better soon!! I'm going to have to check out that site!! Let us all know what goes on with your shoulder!!

Amy said...

What a great idea! Definitely worth more than .50! :)Amy

Angi Barrs said...

This is such a fun project Susan. I love to bake so I'm lovin' your cookie book. :) What a great way to upcycle too. Thank you so much for playing with us at LESSology. :)

Audrey Frelx said...

Oh, Susan, I am sooooo glad you finished it -- I knew you would!!! And, it's very special!!! You did such a wonderful job with it and I can see all the fabulous work you put into it!!

I've been resting myself today; I've been so very tired and it's all caught up with me -- came home from church not feeling well at home. After sleeping the day pretty much away, I am feeling a bit better now. Knew I was tired days ago because I'd started making so many little mistakes I was overlooking but the body has its own way of shutting down when you won't do it yourself!!! LOL! Anway, I just had to come see your book because I knew it'd be awesome!!! Now I'm back off to bed!

Very happy to hear you're going to have that shoulder checked out; it's been bothering you to long for me -- can't imagine how you've dealt with it as long as you have. Now take care, and let us know how you're faring!!!

Hugs!

yyam said...

Ooh...you had me at cookie book! Yummy! :)

Awesome book! Thanks for playing along with us at LESSology! :)

JoAnn V. (http://joboogie.typepad.com) said...

Way to go with the upcycling! I'm SO not good at it! Love what you did!

Pendra said...

I hope you don't get this twice... trouble with blogger!!! I wanted to let you know that I am smiling from ear to ear with pride... not only is this so darn cute but with your shoulder, I am soooo proud of you! I hope all goes well at the DR. and if he wants to give you a shot, GET IT! It is the only thing that helped me with my bursitis and it was almost immediate! I get bursitis all the time, don't know why, maybe over use, although I have nothing to do and all day to do it!! hehehe! Anyway, been thinking about you, will be thinking happy thoughts for you on Thursday!
Hugs,
Pendra

Lisa said...

My sweet friend, this is just amazing!! You are so creative and awesome and that you could create something this fabulous while in pain is just incredible! A cookie book!! I love it! You put so much care and detail into this and it shows! This is FANTASTIC!! I really hope the shoulder is feeling better, Susan. Hopefully the ortho can help ease the pain, maybe a cortisone shot or something. Please keep me posted on your appointment. You are in my thoughts and prayers :) Feel better soon!!

Lisa
http://indymermaid.blogspot.com

Kim said...

Hey Susan, I just love your upcycled /recycled cookie book!!! Clever you I love your story as per usual! Hope your shoulder feels better soon:)
~Kim

Unknown said...

Susan your cookie book is just plain awesome!! You are my hero. So much work but it all paid off. If all you want is $.50 I'll double that and I'll take 2 please:)) I'm glad you are going to the DR. too, along with all your friends you are in my prayers. And yes I am glad BB is over, I almost pasted out when she won! I can't figure out what Shelly was all about! Take care of yourself! Hugs, Pam at http://craftycards4u2.blogspot.com/

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Yummmmmmmmmmmm! LOVE LOVE LOVE this! Thanks soooooooooooooo much for playing along with LESSology! :):):):):):):):):):):)

Dora said...

This is the best and most tasty book I have ever seen!
Thanks for playing!

Amy said...

You did such an amazing job with this! You would never know this was a Wal-Mart photo album! I love this! :)
Amy
redheadedcrafter.blogspot.com

angie ashuk said...

what an amazing idea!!! That little cookie book is worth wayyyy more then .50. Its priceless :)

Anonymous said...

What an awesome idea! I love it!

Pat N. said...

I love your cookie book. You did a wonderful job! Very cool! I was reading your other posts, and I hope you get your shoulder in working order again real soon!--Pat N.

Post a Comment