Have you ever used a word and thought you knew what the word meant only to find out you were wrong? Then you feel like a big fool when someone tells you? Well I learned a BIG lesson about this very thing. I made my husband a really cute Father's Day card with an English gentleman stamped of the front, here's the picture:
So far so good, right? Well I thought it would be cute to have the inside say the following:
Now I don't know if you all know what "Wanka" means and before yesterday I thought I knew. I thought wanka was english slang for a buddy, chum, dude, something in that thought process. I've heard the phrase "you silly wanka" and thought it meant a funny dude. When my husband opened the card he complimented my creativity then when he opened to the inside his jaw hit the floor and his eyes bugged out of his head with a look of utter shock! You called me a wanka?!?! I could tell right then and there that obviously that word is not what I thought! He then showed me on google what the real definition is, and let me tell you I felt about an inch tall! Thank god he has a great sense of humor because we laughed about it all day yesterday. The worse part about this story is that on Friday I showed the card to my sixteen year old son and he told me dad would love the card. Then I find out that he knew all along but let me give it to him anyway! This may have been the worst ever Father's Day card but it turned out to be a story for the family books! And by the way, my husband is a handsome dude, not at all a wanka!
I hope you all had a good laugh, god knows we did!
Susan
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

-
-
Thank you!6 years ago
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Back To The Swing Of Things!12 years ago
-
-
-
-
-
Soccer Tooth Fairy Pillow11 years ago
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-




































12 comments:
I didn't know what the word meant either, so I hurriedly went and Google-searched it. I am still laughing; that is hysterical!!! Fortunately, you really didn't know!!!
My son would also let me do something like that; he'd get a huge kick out of it!
Well, I'll be laughing about this for the rest of the evening -- I'm trying now not to think about it, so I can get this ridiculous grin off my face!!!
Hi Susan.. this is Terri of Two Pink Peas. Thank you SO much for stopping by my blog and for leaving your sweet comment and for also putting my button on your blog. I am now a follower of your blog too and will put your button on my blog as well. Yes, we seem to have ALOT in common. That is so neat to find someone who understands some of the things that I am going through...meaning chronic pain. I had to have a total joint replacment on both sides of my jaw and before that I had 3 major surgeries on both sides of my jaw. I will have major chronic pain for life from that and I also have fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis on both knees, on my back and a few other places. I do see a pain doctor and have been on pain meds for the past 12 years or so. Some days are harder then others but I get by. Right now we are in the process of selling our house and building a new house and that is a challenge for me. That is so funny that you have a Dennis in your life too. My husbands dad is also named Dennis, so we have 2 of them in my family. I love it that you have a yorkie. My Bella is a yorkie-poo but I love her so much as I know you can understand that special love with your fur baby. I can't imagine not having Bella. She has been the biggest blessing to me. She just turned 3 years old and she is just the smartest little girl ever. She loves to wear clothes and has since day one. About the color Pink.. .yes.. I love it..lol. I love your blog and I need and will take a look around since this is my first time visiting you. I have not been able to make cards lately since everything is packed up because of us selling our house. I miss making them. I can still get to my supplies and make cards but it is hard to drag everything out and put it all away. In our new house my husband designed me a special Two Pink Peas Craft Room and I am the most excited for that. Anyhow, thank you so much for visiting my blog and for putting my button on your blog, oh and for becoming a follower. I would love to get to know you better. My email address is
Terrico3 at ameritech dot net feel free to email me anytime. What state do you live in? We live in Ohio. Can't wait to talk to you somemore. Hugs, Terri of
Two Pink Peas
www.twopinkpeas.blogspot.com
This is so funny. I'm glad you're husband has a good sense of humor! It really is a wonderful card! This'll be one for the family history books. ~ Blessings
http://gracescraps.blogspot.com/
Susan, What a funny story! I have never even heard the word Wanka before and now I have to goggle it too! Otherwise your card turned out Great! Just think this will be the card he will remember for years to come:)
~Kim
Oh my goodness this is a great story. You have to love teenagers. Too funny.
Thank you so much for the award and the sweet comment on my window envelope. Tracy invented them and they are a lot of fun to make.
I have been on a road trip for the past week and am having trouble catching up but I really wanted to thank you for the award. I will try to post it when I get caught up.
Hugs,
Linda
This will be a Father's Day to remember for sure. And I bet he keeps this card too!! Great story!
OOOoooooOOOO MY GOD SUSAN!
I spit water alllllllllll over the computer screen!!
I never - everrrrrrrrr even for a second expected that! Heck, I thought it meant loser, slacker - when I read it on google, I literally sprayed the puter screen and now, choking!
O my gosh - how funny!
Thank God you didn't make it for like Operation Write Home or a father in law or something!
LOL
I love it!
Now how did we make it all these years and not know exactly what that was? Boy, we are out of "it" aren't we! LOL
You know years ago, I did something like this. I had been in a chatroom (now listen, we are going back 15 years cause I haven't been in a chat room in forever) and I saw some guy say the word "Mushroom Smack" - well, I thought "thats cute!" I thought of a mushroom, probably had a paisely design, giving you a kiss - a smack ... right?
Well later that week, my husband and I had run into the grocery store (might I mention the SUPER store) - and there was my niece (who was 4 at the time) and my sister, I yell out "Kenz, come here and give me a Mushroom Smack!" My husband literally dropped the soap powder and said WHAT IN THE WORLD? While looking at me like I was insane - my sister who was walking toward me stopped dead in her tracks - mouth hung open...I was like "what, what?" I knew something was wrong, but still didn't know. Needless to say, its kind along the lines of "wanker" LOL
O lordy - thank you for sharing this...
(And I am thinking Google is going to think what is the run on the word "wanker" this week? with all of us googling it! LOL)
xoxoxo
Vicki
OMG SiSi that is classic! And I love Vicki's story too. I had to look them both up...that's how out of it I am. I guess I know before putting sentiments in my cards to goole them first. Good thing P has the same great sense of humor you do or you might have been sleeping on the couch until next Father's Day! Thanks for the laugh today. It was just what I needed!!! Hugs ~ Lu
OMG, so I asked Dennis, (the 16 year old), if he ever heard of mushroom smack. I kid you not he spit pop out laughing! Then he said nope, don't know. (Yea, right). Then he asked where I heard that so I told him my blog! So I looked it up and I laughed so hard my tummy now hurts! That was sooooo funny!
Oh my gosh, Susan, my side hurts and I can't even see to type because of the tears of laughter pouring out of my eyes!! Yes, I had to google Wanka, I always thought wanker meant like a looser or something, and I almost spit Diet Coke all over the screen when the results popped up! I'm still laughing! I finally calmed down a bit to type and then I read Vicki's post and the laughter started all over again!! I feel like I've burned more calories in five minutes than 30 on my nordictrack!! Priceless story! The card is absolutely beautiful, by the way :D
Lisa
Susan, your story is hilarious!!! So are some of the other ones here on your blog!! I have never heard of that word myself, either.. I can just see a teenager denying knowing that to see what it does to their Mom!!! Why are we always the last to know???
Thanks for sharing!!!!
Well, I'm going to have to ask my teens what it means 'cause I never heard of it! lol
Fabulous masculine card though, love this color combo!!
hugs & blessings!
Post a Comment