Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Banner Banter and more

Hello friends!


A little birdie, or shall I say mermaid, posted about a new weekly Show and Tell Challenge that is going on at http://craftingmisfit.blogspot.com/. Because I am so dawg gone proud of my banner I thought I would go ahead and enter this challenge. You should check out the blog, it sounds like it will be a lot of fun!


(Here's the original post)
Please forgive me as I have sinned, it's been once week since my last post. But before I'm condemned to blogger hell let me say this past week was crazy, just as I thought it would be in my last post. I do want to thank everyone that wished us a happy anniversary! That was very thoughtful of you. Now let's banner banter, shall we? So my dear friend Lu and her hubby are becoming parents for the first time. This is something they have wanted for a long time and to see how happy and excited they are just makes me so happy for them. Without going into a lot of detail, for their privacy of course, all I will say is that they will have two beautiful children very soon. They are going to be great parents, no doubt about it. On Saturday we had a shower for Lu and her husband. After all, every soon to be parent should have a shower no matter what the circumstances are. For her shower I created my first ever banner using some favorite colors of the mom to be. I think it came out pretty good considering I didn't even start working on it until Friday night and had it done by 2 pm Saturday. (Remember, I move like a turtle). I measured and cut the triangles using cardboard, applied the beautiful teal colored paper from TPC Studio, then cut and embossed the plain yellow and metallic colored paper to use on top. I then used brown ink to outline the edges and cut the letters from the Storybook cartridge. I then used a very thick foam from the Martha Stuart line to pop up the letters but I hated the way you could see the white foam under the letters so I took a black sharpie and ran around the edges of the foam so it wouldn't be so noticeable. It did make a huge difference! After attaching the letter I then added the embellishments and used a thick twine to hold it all together. Wanna see? Ok, ok, simmer down now....here it is! (Drum roll please........................)









I should have asked for a new camera for my anniversary. These pictures just don't do it justice. But you know what? Lu loved it and that's what matters. I'm also going to show you a little clipboard I made that was passed around at the shower. Being that it was a casual event the need for a sign in book would have been a little too formal so I decided this would be a good idea. I asked people to put down their favorite "parent remark" then sign their name to it. This way they could get some solid advise, (he he he) and also remember who attended.


This actually went over really big at the shower. After the gifts were opened Lu read all the comments and everyone had a good laugh. Some of the remarks were: "Don't make me stop this car"..... "Were you born in a barn?".....and the one my husband wrote was "Too much will make you go blind". (I'm sure he heard that one a lot.....lolololol).

So I hope you will all forgive me for committing my blogger sin of late.

Susan

18 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh my gosh, Susan, after reading the first line, I wasn't sure I could continue...major Catholic School flashbacks! Eek! I'm sorry Sister, I didn't pass that note, I'm sorry Father, it has been twenty-five years (oh, ok, another sin...it has been more!) since my last confession...I took many deep breaths and forged ahead to find a beautiful, eloquent post from one dear friend to another! Lu is so lucky to have you in her life (as we all are!) What an absolutely gorgeous banner you created! The colors are so pretty and the elements you added are so perfect! And the sign-in book is so creative and awesome! You are amazing and such a wonderful friend! Thank you for sharing this with us (even though I can't get Sister Agnese's stern voice out of my head, warning me to behave or else...;)

Lisa
http://indymermaid.blogspot.com

Audrey Frelx said...

Susan, both your banner and your clipboard are adorable!!! You did great! How could your friend not like it?!!!

Please congratulate them for me on becoming new parents!!!

Unknown said...

The banner is beautiful, and the clipboard was an amazing idea. Congratulations to your friends on the babes!

Yea! I saw the wedding! It was funny, Lawon made me crack up:)) I am going to love watching Brendan yuck head leave on Thursday!!!! I am watching it as I am writing this:) I am so sorry but I would love to throw the two of them (Rachel & Brendan) in a bucket of slop! They are so whiny and stupid!! Hugs, Pam at http://craftycards4u2.blogspot.com/

Audrey Frelx said...

Susan, I would love it if you came for a visit -- I'd love to meet you!!! Although I've been here all my life, so I don't feel as "lucky" as you think I am...LOL!!!

Hugs, my friend!

Anonymous said...

Susan, the banner turned out great. I attempted to make one for my son's graduation party and needless to say mine turned out to be 4 inches tall. Had to scrap it and attempt something else :)
take care!
Lulu
www.lillulu13.blogspot.com

Kim said...

Hey Susan, I just love to read your stories!! You did a fabulous job on your banner and love the idea of the clipboard and how you used it!! What a great idea! Congrats to your friends! It's so awesome when people become parents! I wish them many Blessings! Hey thank you so much for letting me know that I should enter my card the that challenge! I still need to check it out:) Hope your recovering from those 19 trigger point injections, I have had my share of needles and the site of them brings tears to my eyes every time. I have never been stuck 19 times at once though eek!

Sherrie K. said...

Your banner and clipboard are just awesome...may have to scraplift that cute idea on Parents Remarks...have some good ones:) Don't we all...
Sherrie K
http://sherriescraps.blogspot.com

Maria Matter said...

A work of art, Susan, or more a work of Heart!!! You did a wickedly AWESOME job on this banner, I bet Lu & hubby were thrilled with it!

totally fun idea for parent remarks too!
hugs & blessings

Tanya said...

OMGsh.. your banner is AWESOME!! Lu and her hubby LOVED IT!! You have such a big heart!!!

I also want to thank you for visiting my blog. I do want to explain.. I am using FB because I have heard so many people say they have never been on a DT because they don't have a blog. I wanted to give them that chance!! I am no "super" crafter or "popular" crafter, but my intention is to showcase these TALENTED crafters who DON'T have blogs.!! I plan on using my blog as an outlet for them as well. So, they will post on the FB page and if they have blogs, they can post there as well. Does this make any sense? LOL.. If you decide to have a FB.. PLEASE look me up!! I'd be tickled pink to have you in our group!!

Hugs,
Tanya

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Anniversary:)

I love the banner. Very pretty:)

Anonymous said...

Hey Susan!! I love the banner, and that clipboard is a fantastic idea!! I'm sure the guest of honor and all of the other guests were delighted t see what you created!! I have finally posted twice in a week to my blog!! (Clap hands here)
Now to get busy and create, I say!! Hope to see you visit soon!

Jean said...

These projects are adorable! Thanks for the nice comments on my blog. I am following you now. :)

Cely said...

I'm so stinkin proud of your banner too! And LOL at the shower sign in book! bwhahahahaahhaha! Need to remember that the next time one of my friends has a shower!

MyCuriousCrafts said...

What an awesome banner and project...super cool and very pretty. I'm stopping by via Rebecca's show n' tell and am now a follower. ~Shen

Crafting Misfit said...

Simply fabulous!!!!

Thanks for linking up to my show and tell!

Rebecca "Crafting Misfit"

Visit my blog!

Trail of Treasures said...

Love this banner!! You did a great job with all the colours! Just fabulous! Just came over from Crafting Misfit's show and tell and I'm now a new follower. Would love for you to visit me at www.trailoftreasures.com

Hugs,
Tracey

Paper Compulsions said...

Love the awesome banner with all the swirly flourishes and flowers. Found you through Crafting MIsfit's link up party. New follower.

Jani
papercompulsions.blogspot.com

Eva Laney said...

Hi Susan, I love your Banner, that is very awesome. Thanks for visiting my blog and becoming a new follower and yes Lisa is an awesome blog buddy!!! I am happy to become your newest follower and look forward to visiting your blog again.
Eva :0)
http://evasscrapsncards.blogspot.com/

Post a Comment